Monday, April 18, 2016

Active Learning


We all know how it feels to begrudgingly sit through an uninteresting, plain lecture perhaps with a generic Powerpoint presentation containing upwards of 100 slides of words. It’s boring, and exhausting. And I don’t think I’ve ever really taken away a true understanding of the material when learning is facilitated this way.

Enter Active Learning.

Here’s where the real learning takes place.

The doing.
The moving.
The making.
The being.

Just as the name implies this strategy engages students through technology and components that connect the real world to the classroom. It is through these experiences I believe that students can build on skills that perpetuate lifelong learning. As Bonnel & Smith (2010) put it, active learning is learning how to learn.

The glue that ties this theory together is technology. This allows students to engage and be active in the facilitation of course content. We can appeal to multiple learning styles using technology, too. Which just sweetens the pot.

As an educator, I will take risks and maybe incorporate off the wall or outrageous experiences to make learning memorable and exciting. I mean, why NOT? As I’ve reflected in past courses, I aim to be the educator that uses humor and understanding to build connections with students. I will keep the classroom up to date and relevant. I believe that active learning encompasses both authentic and experiential learning and assists with subsequent applied learning. In other words, engaging students in active learning so they can easily relate to clinical practice.

Again, as I have once reflected, I view educating as being similar to raising a child. For a more specific example, I would utilize technology and active learning to evaluate student learning and several points of a lecture/presentation with the use of clickers. After a number of slides, a question is posed to the class who must participate using the clicker and then a short debriefing will occur.  Just as I would start out teaching my child ABC before DEFG. I’d make sure he got the hang of the first three letters before I moved on to the rest. And every few letter I will re evaluate how he is learning. 




This picture says it all. Why would one want to be passive about anything?  You get out what you put in, and so as a student or an educator we should strive to active!


“Go big or go home.” 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment